Friday, May 20, 2011

Are the end times near?


This is something I wrote over a year ago (I did do some minor editing) and I thought it was relevant in light of recent events. Meaning, the belief that the beginning of the end times is tomorrow. I know most of you are smart enough to know that this guy is a joke, but how many of you think the end times are very near? Well, I try to dissect the reasoning for why Christians always think God is coming soon in the following writing.

"Why do so many Christians claim that the end times are near? When I ask individual Christians this question, they usually come up with answers like, 'look at all the natural disasters. In the Bible, it says there will be a lot of natural disasters in the end times.' However, I attribute what seems to be an increase in natural disasters to an increase in g
lobal media and information. We never used to know, nor care as a society when small countries (eg. Haiti) were hammered by intense natural disasters. Everything is 'close to home' now with the advent of the internet and a global newsforce that reports on anything remotely disastrous because it gets them better ratings.
The second 'go to' argument the Christian community uses is that the world has become so immoral. And they act like its worse than it ever has been. I think people need to read their history books. Back in ancient times, prostitutes roamed the streets (legally) and temple orgies were a normal thing. Not to mention rampant homosexuality. Having a male sex slave was seen as a sign of wealth and prominence. Also, during the Roman era, people used to watch slaves murder each other for fun. They used to feed Christians to lions. Somehow, I don't think we are even close to that level right now. Not saying we can't get there eventually. Because I believe we could.
The third argument is generally relating to Israel and the Middle East. But nothing has really changed there since 1967. But even then nothing really changed. Peace hasn't been accomplished. Muslims still want to conquer Israel and all the Jews. Iran wants to nuke them. Palestinians want to take over their land. Syria wants to completely destroy everything related to the Jews. I could be wrong, but if peace is necessary for the end times to come, I think current events and the foreign policies towards Israel from Islamic nations are a pretty obvious sign that the end times are a long ways off.
Yet for centuries... no millenniums, Christians have heralded that the end times are near. Often pointing to figures like Nero, Hitler, or Stalin as the Antichrist. You can ask almost any Christian and they will tell you that they believe God is coming back in their lifetime. We say it, our parents said it, our grandparents said it, even our great-grandparents belived they would be on this earth for the rapture...
I know part of it is driven by our natural desire to... not die. We all want to think that we will be the chosen generation that gets the 'Advance to heaven card'.

I believe it is possible that Christ will return in my lifetime. But my personal opinion is that He wont. And I know most everyone who believes in Christs return will probably say otherwise. But seriously... why do you think you are right where millions and millions of Christians before you were wrong? I am sure many of you have studied end times prophecy. And I am sure most of you have an opinion on it. And I am sure all those opinions are backed up by verses and evidence from the Bible and the world around us. But don't you think Christians before... even the disciples... used the Bible and current events to 'prove' Christ's return was near?

My intention here is to get people to ask questions and evaluate what they believe. Not to get people to not believe in Christs return or to prove that it is far off. I just think we as Christians need to be more open about this topic. The fact is, no one will know the day or the hour of Christ's return. We will know the season, but in my humble opinion, I don't think we are at a point where we can say for certian that Christ's return is near."
Thoughts or opinions? Feel free to humble me if you think I am in error.
Thanks for reading and God bless.
Also, remember to subscribe. Even if you think I am crazy, because at least you can be entertained by my insanity, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment